Mexican Cabbage Soup
Recipe by: Breana Lai "Based on a popular weight-loss plan, this healthy cabbage soup recipe gets tons of flavor and a metabolism-boosting kick fom spicy chiles."
Author: Vickie Beineke
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped polao or green bell pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chills in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 4 cups of 9.5 pH Kangen water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium pinto or black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Crumbled queso fresco, nonfat plan Greek yogurt and/or diced avocado for garnish
- Heat oil in a large soup pot (8-quart or larger) over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, poblano (or bell pepper) and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened (10-12 minutes).
- Add cabbage; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add tomato paste, chipotle, cumin and coriander; cook, stirring for about 1 minute more.
- Add broth, water, beans and salt. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered until the vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve garnished with cheese, yougurt and/or avocado, if desired.